Tuesday 4 November 2014

Quilt No 1 : Red Stapelia


  My quilt for our first challenge 'Red' has been almost finished for a long time.  A wholecloth piece of Japanese silk shibori  layered over an African damask ,  it's been a labour of love, hand stitched  using a variety  of loops and other stitches  trying out techniques from Helen Parrott's book. It's accompanied  me on several train journeys, the format of 40 x 80 cm being a good travel piece to work on. This weekend I finally got round to trimming it down and applying a facing.
It looks quite sinister and plant-like  reminding me of the carrion flower so I'm calling it 'Red Stapelia' .

1 comment:

  1. Neat idea to use this as a field for experimentation! I have that book, too, and want to work through it. Looking forward to seeing the quilt for real.

    ReplyDelete