Sunday 14 December 2014

Blue

I am going to be away for a few weeks in January and February and in between have loads of teaching so have been worrying about when I was going to find the time to make the quilts that I needed to. So the only way was to stop worrying and just get on and make them.

Here is the Blue Quilt.

This one is inspired by my trips to Scandinavian countries. I have always loved the jumpers that many people wear and have a few that I love to wear.

I dyed the 100% wool felt using acid dyes and then with an innovative way of piecing or counterchange I put the jumpers together.

The stitching in done using some thicker white thread using automatic patterns and the rest is done using lana thread



Here is a detail


For the last couple of years I have been teaching a residential course in the NWest of the UK at a lovely centre at Grange over sands. It is on an estuary and we always go over the estuary on the viaduct to a small town Arnside. 
We take photos, do some drawings etc and I have a fabulous collection of photos and I have never done anything with. I have meaning to make this quilt for a while so i was thrilled when Margaret announced her challenge. I had a few thermofax screens made from my drawings and printed some hand dyed fabrics.

This quilt is not my usual style of working but that's part of the group challenge





So now I only have the Sketch challenge to do for April. I can go away now feeling relieved
Gillian


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I do look forward to seeing these in real! and good to know that the originator of the sketch challenge leaves that one to do last! although I assume you could produce a sketch for every one of your quilts. Have wonderful trips, and bring back lots of inspirations!

    ReplyDelete